FII Funding Priorities
FII funded projects directly relate to priorities for the B.C. forest industry and Government as outlined in our annual Investment Strategy. These priorities are developed in consultation with the B.C. forest industry, and through research into emerging trends and opportunities in global markets.
Direction for the annual strategy is provided by the Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training, and the FII Ltd. Board of Directors. Additional input into the investment strategy is provided by the FII Strategy Committee, which is also comprised of senior industry representatives.
The strategy helps guide proponents who submit funding proposals as part of FII’s annual Call for Proposals (November – December). Projects suggested for funding must contribute either directly or indirectly to achieving growth objectives identified in the strategy.
In 2013/2014 the key objectives from the strategy include:
- Position British Columbia as a global supplier of world-class environmentally friendly forest products;
- Actively maintain, create and diversify demand for B.C. forest products in Canada and in key world markets;
- Help break down non-tariff trade and market barriers to ensure opportunities for B.C. forest products;
- Work with the forest industry to promote B.C.’s forest products and forest management to the global marketplace; and
- Help ensure that the forest sector, through product development and strong international sales, continues to be a leading contributor to the B.C. economy.
FII does not provide loans, grants or subsidies. Funding is not meant to support an individual firm’s activities but to benefit sub-sectors or the B.C. forest sector as a whole.