Forestry Innovation Investment (FII) is the B.C. Government’s market development agency for forest products. FII works to enhance the value of B.C.’s forest resource and strengthen rural economies and employment by delivering programming that responds to the questions: “Why use wood?” and “Why buy wood from B.C.?”
To achieve these objectives, FII along with the forest industry and federal government focuses on:
- positioning British Columbia as a global supplier of world-class environmentally friendly forest products;
- maintaining, creating and diversifying demand for B.C. forest products in Canada and in key world markets;
- helping break down non-tariff trade and market barriers to ensure opportunities for B.C. forest products;
- working with the forest industry to highlight the benefits of using wood; and
- helping ensure that the forest sector, through product development and strong international sales, continues to be a leading contributor to the B.C. economy.
When FII was created, less than one-sixth of B.C.’s forest product exports were sent to markets outside of North America. Today, about 41 per cent of exports are shipped overseas. In particular, sales to China have increased more than 1,500 per cent since a joint China market development program was set up by FII and the industry, with federal government support, in 2003.